Rāapa - Wednesday 25th August

 Ata mārie koutou


Another stunning day is forecast for today, with rain due at the end of the week I am going to make sure we get outside as much as possible today. While I type this up Ash, Dotty and Bobby are making pizza dough for a pizza night tonight. Dotty has been making lots of cards for her friends, she is missing all her wee kindergarten mates. I'm sure your children are all missing their Class One buddies too, maybe they could make some cards and you can send photos to each other? It is nice to connect. Remember, we have our contact list with everyone's email addresses so you can find each other. I took the children to visit our cat and get some tshirts and shorts yesterday, Bobby loves the reno site.


It's been really nice hearing from some more of you, sounds like you are all doing really well, having fun and finding natural occurring learning at your homes which is so perfect! Remember, this blog is only ideas and a way of staying in touch, I have no expectations that you need to do all the work I give. 

Wednesdays at school are a little different to the rest of our week, we start our morning with a short circle time, then Katherina comes for flute lessons. Can you remember any of the tunes we started learning? Maybe you could find a stick and pretend? 

After flute we have a quick fruit snack then straight off to kapa haka. Why don't you practice some waiata? If you need help, I have made a post with songs and waiata. I also thought that it could be fun to make some poi today? 

This is a simple easy to make Maori Practice Poi.

To make you will require :

  • Newspaper or Tennis Balls
  • Colour paper or fabric,
  • String/Cord
  • And Scissors



1. The cords should be about 600mm long, so you can also tie around the paper ball. The finished cords should be no more than 300mm.

2. You can if you wish plait different coloured wool together to make a nicer looking Poi cord.



3. Push the newspaper into a ball (or use tennis ball) and tie one end of the cord around the ball.

4. Cut the coloured paper or fabric into a square about 400mm x 400mm.

5. Place the ball in the middle of the paper or fabric and gather the material over the ball.

6. Cut another piece of cord to tie the opening in the material up.


7. You can also add a layer of plastic over the Bag Poi and tie as before. This will make them last longer when used outside.

8. Trim the gathered paper or fabric with the scissors.

9. Tie loops or knots in the ends of the cord to hold onto as handles.

10. Make another one and you have your first set of Poi.

Instructions from https://www.homeofpoi.com/en/lessons/teach/How-to-make/How-make-Poi/Simple-Maori-bag-Poi

Now that you have your poi, you can practice your actions for E rere taku poi.


Can you remember what runga, raro, roto and waho mean? (up, down, in, out)

After eating some kai and having a play for morning tea we have main lesson and eurythmy.

Here is a video Simone created last year when we were in rāhui, lockdown. You may all like to do some eurythmy together?





One last idea for today, I mentioned getting outside if you can today, how about an outdoor scavenger hunt. Here's what I'm going to do with my family today:


Enjoy the sunshine, look after yourself, find the joy in the little moments. 


Arohanui

Stacey

Comments