Ata marie e te whānau
Wasn't I wrong about that sunshine yesterday! It turned into a very gloomy, grey day, I find it hard to get motivated on grey days and we adjusted to a slower pace so we could all have a happier day.
I hope you are all managing to find a rhythm that suits your family, it can be tricky to fit everything in when people are working from home, or still leaving the house to work, or with multiple children each with their own learning tasks. All of our situations will look different and I can't stress enough how important it is to only do what you can manage, being happy and feeling secure is what our children need most in this time.
I have added some waiata and verses you may like to use to start your day, I will add another post with some finger games and activities a bit later.
For today, I will add a literacy and maths activity. You can do these any way that suits you!
Jack Frost was in the garden;
I saw him there at dawn;
He was dancing round the bushes
And prancing on the lawn.
He had a cloak of silver,
A hat all shimm'ring white,
A wand of glittering star-dust,
And shoes of sunbeam light.
Jack Frost was in the garden,
When I went out to play
He nipped my toes and fingers
And quickly ran away.
I chased him round the wood-shed,
But, oh! I'm sad to say
That though I chased him everywhere
He simply wouldn't stay.
Jack Frost was in the garden:
But now I'd like to know
Where I can find him hiding;
I've hunted high and low —
I've lost his cloak of silver,
His hat all shimm'ring white,
His wand of glittering star-dust,
His shoes of sunbeam light.
Literacy
At school we have been making CVC (consonant- vowel- consonant) words. Practice writing out the below table and making the sounds each letter makes as you write them. If you have chalk you make like to write them on the pavement outside, if not pen and paper is fine too.
Once you have written them out, practice your karate chop hands on your arm to see if you can make words... eg /b/ - /u/ - /s/ - bus!
Some children will need a lot of help, others will be able to do it almost by themselves.
How many words can you make?
Draw and write the three words you like the most.
This is our word wall at school, we add more 'sight words' to it weekly. These are words we use all the time. You may like to practice them at home :)
Maths
Ask your child to recall the story of Numberland, who lives there? King Counting and Queen Equals rule the land, the gnomes live underground collecting precious gems and giving them to the King. Farmer Plus is very abundant and has lots of things growing on his farm. King Counting had tooooooo much in his stores and needed some help, Mr Minus came to help him give his things to those that need it.
We had just met Tommy Times, your child may recall him too. We haven't done any multiplication practice yet so I'd prefer us to wait until we are back at school for this, thank you.
Problems: below are some problems related to the story of Numberland, use materials to work them out (stones, marbles, blocks, bits of paper, whatever you have up to 20 of!)
Farmer Plus went to his pig sty, he noticed that one of his pigs had given birth to piglets, he counted 5. Then he noticed another pig also had some piglets, he went over and counted 7! How many piglets were there? 5 + 7 = 12
Next Farmer Plus went to check on his cabbages, one of his workers had 8 cabbages in their basket, another had 3, how many cabbages? 8 + 3 = 11
King Counting had 16 bunches of silverbeet in his stores, Mr Minus gave 6 away, how many were left? 16 - 6 = 10
Then Mr Minus went to the pile of amethysts, there were 14, he took 8 to give to some of the villagers, how many were left? 14 - 8 = 6
If your child wants more problems and you have the time and headspace to do it you can make up some more problems together, up to 20 eg: 2 + 3, 13 + 6, 17- 5, 8- 4....
That's all the school work for today, check back in tomorrow for some more, I'll add some each day around 10am. I'll be checking emails and replying at lunch time and in the evening.
Arohanui
Stacey
Comments
Post a Comment